Avocados from Mexico (www.avocadosfrommexico.com) has inspired me once again to get in the kitchen and get creative with avocados! With another contest running for Bloggers to post Avocado recipes, I have not had a shortage of ideas popping into my head. Well, I guess it really doesn't take much convincing, as avocados are one of my favorite foods! So versatile, nutritious, and delicious in entrees and desserts alike, they add a green creaminess and lovely flavor to every dish they take part in! I decided that this morning it was time to pull out my baking tools and create a new treat that I have never had before... The result? Delicious, Bright and CREAMY Avocado Lime Bars! I thought of trying to make a version without wheat, butter, or eggs, but I realized that some things simply need that old fashioned touch, and lime bars have always been best when light and fluffy. I will save my wheat free, vegan adventures for another time, and will stick to the good old fashioned basics. Fair warning, this is NOT a diet recipe, especially as you will have a hard time not eating them all! Perfect to make ahead and take to social gatherings, family get togethers, and picnics, this simple baked treat will delight anyone that you make it for (and they can help you eat the bars and save your waistline!)! Please enjoy my recipe for:
Creamy Avocado Lime Bars!
3/4 cup Almond Meal (finely ground almonds)
3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 ripe medium avocados (equals about 1 cup, mashed)
1/2 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 Tablespoon finely grated lime zest
1 cup sugar (granulated)
1/4 cup unbleached white flour
powdered sugar to dust the top of the finished bars
1. First, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium size bowl, combine the almond meal, whole wheat flour, and powdered sugar. Add in the butter and use a fork to cut the butter in to the flour mix, until it resembles slightly lumpy corn meal. Pour the crust mix into a nonstick 10x7 baking pan. spread evenly through the pan, and press very firmly to create the crust. Place into the preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until just slightly golden on the edges.
2. While the crust is baking, prepare the Avocado Lime topping. Scoop the avocado fruit out of the peels (removing the pits), using a spoon, and place into a large bowl. Mash the avocado with a spoon, leaving a few chunks for extra flavor while eating. Add in the lime juice, lime zest, and eggs, and beat well, until fully combined. Stir in the sugar and 1/4 cup of flour, stirring well to remove any lumps of flour.
3. Remove the baked crust from the oven when slightly golden, and pour the Avocado filling over the top, spreading evenly over the crust. Return to the 325 degree oven, and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, until fluffy, and very slightly golden on the edges.
4. Remove from oven, and allow to sit for about 5 minutes. Lightly dust the top of the bars with powdered sugar, and allow to cool completely.
5. Cut into about 24 two inch bars, and ENJOY!
Servings: about 24
Prep Time: about 5 minutes
Bake Time: about 40-50 minutes