http://mywoodenspoon.com/2010/01/03/food-challenge-what-recipe-will-you-make/ The challenge was to use Cornflakes, Hot Sauce, and Honey in a delicious recipe. So I came up with:
Cornflake Coconut Shrimp with Sweet and Spicy Mango Dipping Sauce
1 mango, peeled, pit removed
3 Tablespoons hot sauce (use your favorite brand!)
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
24 large raw shrimp
2 cups cornflakes
1 cup angel flake coconut, sweetened
1 large egg, beaten
Vegetable oil for deep frying
Spring Green salad mix
1. Peel the mango, and cut away from the pit, dropping the fruit into a blender. Add in the hot sauce, honey, sea salt and pepper, and blend until smooth (use a spatula to push down the sides as needed to blend thoroughly). Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
2. Heat oil for deep frying, at least 3 inches deep in a large (3 qt. or larger) saucepan.
3. Peel and clean the shrimp. Pour the cornflakes into a zip type storage bag and crush until fine. Add in the coconut and combine well.
4. Dip the shrimp in the beaten egg and then drop into the cornflake coconut mix. Press the coating onto the shrimp, covering thoroughly. Drop a cornflake into the oil to test for frying temperature, the cornflake should sizzle and pop immediately to the surface. Slip the shrimp into the hot oil, and fry until golden brown, and crisp, about 4-5 minutes.
5. Serve with the Sweet and Spicy Mango dipping sauce, atop a bed of fresh spring greens!
prep time: about 5-10 minutes
cook time: about 5 minutes