Wednesday, September 1, 2010
It is time for my second post in the Saucy Mama review series, and I have some really exciting and delicious recipes and products to share with you today! Today I am focusing on the Saucy Mama Lime Chipotle Marinade, and the Saucy Mama Chipotle Mustard! Both of these products are equally delicious: smoky, slightly spicy, and incredibly flavorful, there are a multitude of uses for either of them! I decided to stay within the theme of the Chipotle, and so both of my recipes feature southwestern flavors. Don't forget to add your comments at the end of the post (giveaway guidelines can be found here) for your chance to win a set of Saucy Mama Lime Chipotle Marinade and Chipotle Mustard sent straight to you, for your kitchen!
So, what is Chipotle exactly? Chipotle chiles are smoked, dried jalapenos. When I use chipotle in a recipe, it adds a deep earthiness: slightly sweet, slightly spicy, warm and inviting. It has such a well rounded flavor, and it imparts that flavor in a delightful undertone, enhancing any dish. I often use a small can of chipotle in adobo* to add amazing flavor to spreads for sandwiches, dressings for salads, and marinades for meats; so it's only natural that Saucy Mama has made some delicious chipotle products!
*(adobo is a tomato based sauce that generally has garlic, onions, salt, pepper and spices, stewed to a wonderfully thick and rich texture.)
The Saucy Mama Chipotle Mustard is a fantastic mustard, that would be perfect on any sandwich, or added in to dressings and marinades. Tangy, a little sweet, and just bursting with flavor, I know you will be able to come up with some great uses for this mustard! The recipe I am sharing with you today is amazing! When I first thought of the idea for this Saucy Mama Chipotle Potato Salad, I had mixed feelings. I happen to love my "good ole' standby" potato salad, with dijon, green onions, plenty of dill and red potatoes, and am very picky about potato salad in general, never enjoying a super market potato salad... So I wasn't sure if I could really enjoy a Chipotle Southwestern style potato salad, or if I would just be thinking that I would rather have my old recipe. But I was amazed by the flavor when I had my first bite, and I truly enjoyed it! The chipotle flavor was delicious, and I think that the ingredients I used really combined well with it! I used a lovely blend of white, red and purple fingerling potatoes for this salad, but you could use any small potatoes that you have. I wouldn't suggest using large baking potatoes, because the texture just won't be the same. I hope you enjoy my recipe for:
Prep Time: about 15 minutes
Cooking Time: about 15-20 minutes
6 cups water for boiling the potatoes
1/2 cup green onion, diced
1/4 cup roasted green chile diced
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1/4 cup Saucy Mama Chipotle Mustard
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon peppercorn blend, freshly ground (mine includes back, red and green peppercorns, coriander, and allspice)
1. Add the water and sea salt to a large pot (3 qt.), place over high heat and bring to a boil. Add in the chopped potatoes, and cook for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender. Drain the cooked potatoes into a colander and allow to cool about 10 minutes.
2. While the potatoes are cooling, dice the red pepper, green onion, green chile and red onion, and place them into a medium size bowl. Chop the cilantro and add it in to the bowl.
3. Add the Saucy Mama Chipotle Mustard, the mayonnaise and the pepper into a small bowl, and stir well to fully combine. Add the slightly cooled potatoes to the bowl of diced vegetables, and pour the combined dressing over the potatoes. Gently stir to coat the potatoes evenly and incorporate the vegetables.
4. Cover, and place in refrigerator until ready to serve. Best serve chilled. Enjoy!
Saucy Mama Lime Chipotle Marinade! We LOVE salad rolls around here, but have always made them with an Asian inspired flavor. But I just had to try this marinade on some shrimp, and thought it would make a delicious salad, but wanted a party friendly recipe, so I took it a step further, and voila! Saucy Mama Lime Chipotle Salad Rolls!! The perfect hand held snack, light, crisp, refreshing, and so delicious, I am sure these will be a hit with your family and friends! They go together very quickly, and I had a plate of 12 salad rolls before I knew it! The grilled Lime Chipotle shrimp were amazing, and I made a creamy Lime Chipotle dip to go along with it! I hope you enjoy these as much as we did!
Saucy Mama Lime Chipotle Salad Rolls:
Serves: 6-12 (depending on if you want one or two!)
Prep Time: about 20 minutes
Cooking Time: about 6-7 minutes
1/2 pound (about 36) medium size shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cleaned
1/4 cup Saucy Mama Lime Chipotle Marinade, plus
2 Tablespoons Saucy Mama Lime Chipotle Marinade, divided
1/2 cup sour cream
12 lettuce leaves (I used green leaf lettuce)
2 green onions
1 cucumber, medium
1 red bell pepper, medium
1/2 red onion, small
1 cup grape tomatoes
1 handful cilantro
12 spring/salad roll wrappers (round rice wrappers, found dry in the Asian food section)
1. First, marinate the shrimp by combining the cleaned shrimp with the 1/4 cup Saucy Mama Lime Chipotle Marinade in a small dish. Stir well, cover, and place in refrigerator for about 10 minutes. Preheat a grill to medium high heat while shrimp marinates.
2. Prepare the Lime Chipotle dip by combing the 2 Tablespoons Lime Chipotle Marinade and the sour cream. Stir well, cover, and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
3. While the shrimp is marinating, prepare the vegetables, by cleaning the lettuce leaves (set them aside), and then slicing all of the other vegetables, and the avocado, into long thin slices, about 4 inches long. See photo for detail:
5. Assemble the rolls, by first adding hot tap water to a large shallow dish (like a baking sheet or very large deep plate), and place one rice wrapper into the water. Allow to soak about 30 seconds, until softened. Place the wrapper onto a large cutting board (gently shaking out the excess water), smoothing out into a circle. Place a lettuce leaf in the center of the wrapper, and then add a couple pieces of each vegetable, spreading evenly over the lettuce. Add 3 shrimp in a row on the top. See photo below for detail:
6. Serve the Lime Chipotle Salad Rolls with the prepared dipping sauce, and enjoy!
I hope you all enjoy these recipes, and make sure to post your comments below and let me know how you would like to try these great Saucy Mama Chipotle products in your kitchen!